So today I decided to take advantage of all the snow that just got dumped all over the Chicago metro area and go snowshoeing with a friend. We had briefly talked about it one day and she had expressed some interest. So I tried to get a whole group together but because of prior commitments, it was only my friend Joan Marie and myself.
It was her first time snowshoeing, so of course she had to find snowshoes. It's quite easy to rent them around here, as we've got 4 REIs in the area. However, I think a lot of people must have had the same idea, because when she was calling around they were all out. They said they would probably have some the morning of, but I tried instead to borrow from some friends. Luckily I was able to snag a pair for her & we didn't have to deal with the whole rental process. I actually was thinking to myself that I should just get an extra pair to have and that way I can always have a spare if any friends ever want to go.
So we head out to the suburbs to go to Paul Douglas Forest Preserve, which borders Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates. It's a pretty expansive preserve, mostly flat savanna/prairie. I'd been snowshoeing there once before and thought it would be a good place to take her - pretty winter landscape with not too difficult terrain. Unfortunately, parking was an issue as the forest preserve parking lot hadn't been plowed yet. I guess all the equipment was being used to try and dig Chicago residents out - understandably. Luckily, there are other ways to get in the preserve since they had completed within the last year or so a bike path that traverses the perimeter of the preserve. We just had to park in one on the strip mall lots and cross Algonquin road to get onto the path.
After we get our snowshoes on, which is always a bit awkward, we had to cross some pretty deep snow to get to the path. I don't think I have ever snowshoed in snow quite that deep before; it was quite the struggle, requiring much more effort to walk than in more normal snow conditions. My friend Joan Marie made a funny remark once we got onto the path; she said something to the effect of "if we had to keep walking through terrain like that, I don't know how long I would be able to keep going." I had to laugh because a part of me agreed with her. And it's not like either us are out of shape (although she is probably in much better shape than me). Once we set out on the path, we got into a rhythm and it felt so great to be outdoors and active. It was a beautiful, sunny day and not a lot of wind. Twenty minutes into it, hats & gloves came off and jackets were unbuttoned because we were working up such a sweat. I think we ended up snowshoeing for a total of about two hours. The only downside to today's excursion was that we didn't really get to the heart of the preserve because of where we had to park. Oh well, maybe next time. I did realize, though, that doing an activity like this outdoors for me is like breathing for most people. I need it to recharge my battery. While I was exhausted afterwards, I felt great; it wasn't like the exhaustion I get after a long work week. I made a mental note to make sure I pack my snow gear in the car so I can go out at lunch or after work. Better make sure I take advantage of the snow while it lasts!

No comments:
Post a Comment