My Backstory

My photo
Chicago, IL, United States
My Backstory: Michigan native / MSU Alum Class of 1999 (Go Spartans!) / JET Programme Alum (3 yrs teaching English in Japan) / Current Employer-Position: Allstate-Recruiter / Karaoke Queen / Fan of: camping, hiking, music, reading, kayaking, outdoor concerts and festivals, ethnic food, long bike rides, friendly gatherings, football and hockey seasons (my teams: Spartans, Red Wings, Steelers & Bears)

1.30.2011

Two more movie reviews...

In addition to The King's Speech, I also saw The Social Network and Easy A this weekend.  Both are movies I would highly recommend.

The Social Network was not only an interesting portrayal of one of this century's most influential individuals but also a poignant commentary on how society has become so reliant on social media to communicate & maintain our relationships with others.  Regardless of the story's accuracy, Aaron Sorkin's screenplay is a gem, a story driven by lots & lots of complicated dialogue - it reminds me of his West Wing days.  The film was brilliantly acted - Jesse Eisenberg, Justin Timberlake and Andrew Garfield all brought their respective characters to life and I definitely had a visceral response to each of them (mainly disgust/horror at the superiority AND lack of feeling/human emotion that the characters demonstrate, with a little bit of pity thrown in for their social awkwardness/inability to fit in).  After the movie finished, I felt like switching off my Facebook profile as a symbolic "f-off" gesture.  But it's become such an integral part of daily life.  I think we all need to work extra hard to maintain our relationships outside the social media realm.
Kelly's Rating


Now on to a much lighter note...
Easy A, a modern-day interpretation of The Scarlet Letter, is a light-hearted, witty comedy that's a perfect end to a long work week.  Emma Stone is brilliant as the female protagonist; I believe she will become the next "Julia Roberts" - great delivery & comedic timing.  An homage to the John Hughes films of my youth and a parody of today's many high-school based dramas/comedies (like Saved and Mean Girls), Easy A was a pleasant surprise filled with witty dialogue and a great ensemble cast (I particularly loved Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson as Olive's parents).  Definitely worth the rental (and I'll probably end of buying it on DVD - it's one of those movies I could watch over & over again and still laugh).
Kelly's Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment